Well, in that film there is a song “I Have A dream” – all sorts of weird and wonderful characters realise and go on to admit that they have a dream.
Yesterday my daughter had a gymnastics competition and won silver – despite having spent the last 3 weeks unwell and missing a lot of training. She has a dream. She would love to be able to compete one day in the Olympics BUT she also has a backup dream. To be a gym coach and coach a gymnast who would one day compete in the Olympics!
This morning I was reading a book about realising your dreams and it got me thinking. What is my dream and why? It is the ‘why’ bit that got me thinking.
Have you ever given it proper thought about why you want to be successful online? The reason why must fit in with your values for it to have real meaning.
I often say that wanting to make money is not a strong enough motivation to drive you to success and I still believe that. But how can you find out what the real reason is behind you wanting to make money? Your underlying motivation?
Perhaps you believe that if you had a lot of money then people would take you more seriously and respect you? If so then your underlying motivation is being respected. The need for respect will be your drive and reason why. But if so then why do you feel the need to be respected?
We could of course go on and on with this scenario but this is what I think.
I believe that your reason why and the thing that will drive you to success needs to be based on something beyond yourself. A selfless reason if you like.
Going back to the respect example, if you had respect what would that enable you to achieve? Become a better mechanic? Become a better sister? Become a better dog trainer?
And if you became a better mechanic for example, who would benefit? If you became a better sister, who would benefit? It’s the other person who would benefit and of course you also benefit as a consequence.
If your drive is based on something other than your self satisfaction then you will have far more of a desire to achieve it.
If you would like to find out the thing that will really drive you to success then go through these steps:
- If you had unlimited resources what would you love to do?
- If you could change the world what would you do?
- Why would that be satisfying for you?
- What values are important to you?
- What do you admire most in people you respect?
- Now take a look at your online business and the success you want.
- Why is being successful important to you?
- What would you be able to achieve if you were successful?
- How would that impact others?
- What thought(s) made your heart beat faster?
- That’s where your passion lies.
- Now develop your own reason why you want online success and create your own dream.